Strengthening Working Families
Raja Krishnamoorthi is running with a five-point plan, called his “Working Families Agenda” to help more Americans achieve economic security and the middle-class.
“While the numbers say that we’re finally recovering from the Great Recession, the working families I talk to are finding it harder and harder to get ahead,” Raja said. “We need policies from Washington that make sure hard work is rewarded and economic security is within reach of every family across our land.”
Raja’s plan would help more working families earn a living wage, qualify for overtime pay, receive paid maternity leave, earn paid sick leave and obtain tax benefits to help with the cost of raising children. In addition, Raja remains committed to supporting America’s seniors by protecting and strengthening Social Security and Medicare for current and future generations.
Specifically, Raja’s Working Families Agenda includes:
- Raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour and link future increases to inflation.
- Enact into law President Obama’s executive order that workers earning less than $50,000 automatically qualify for overtime pay.
- Require paid maternity leave for all women in the workforce.
- Grant workers the ability to earn up to seven days of paid leave annually when the worker or family members have medical needs.
- Expand the federal child tax credit to help working families with the cost of raising children.
“As a small businessman, I know that what’s good for our workers is good for our company,” said Raja “We need to make sure that hard work is rewarded and that workers with families can achieve a middle-class life.”
“Congress needs to renew its focus on helping to get and keep people in the middle class. That’s why I’m running for Congress, to put working families first.”